← All places

The Pumping Station

Drainage
Location
edge of the marsh, north-west of the town centre
Built
1947, with later additions
Maintained by
the Drainage Committee

The Pumping Station is a small brick building on the edge of the marsh. It houses two pumps. One of them is original to the 1947 rebuild; the other replaced a smaller unit in 1973. Both are, by long custom, painted dark green.

Visiting

The Pumping Station is not generally open to visitors. It can be seen from the footpath that runs along the edge of the marsh, and is visited, by arrangement, on Drain Day, when the Drainage Committee opens the doors and the Mayor is given a tour.

The Drainage Committee Chair is Della Finch.

← All places