Places
The town has fewer landmarks than it has opinions about them. What follows is the public index of named places, with profiles where a profile is warranted.
The Bell & Sluice
Public house · on Bell Street
The most-visited building in town. 17th-century core, 1991 renovation. Run by Tom Ash.
St. Within’s Church
Parish church · on the rise
The parish church, dedicated to St. Within. Bell said to have been returned in 1644.
The Reading Room
Cafe · on Bell Street
The cafe in the old village reading room. Holds the Gazette back issues and the museum cabinet. Run by Iris Bell.
The Pumping Station
Drainage · on the edge of the marsh
Two pumps, one of which is original to the 1947 rebuild. Maintained by the Drainage Committee.
The Halt
Railway · on Old Car Road
Single platform, one train each way most days, and a bench painted heron-white by long tradition.
Willow Bend Caravan Park
Caravan park · across the Bell Causeway
About forty pitches, open April to October. Plot 14 is the year-round pitch; Caspar Wren lives there.
The Common
Open ground · south of Bell Street
The war memorial stands here. The Morrowfen Silence is observed here.
The Seventh Drain outflow
Drainage · on the north-west edge of the marsh
A concrete headwall at the edge of the marsh. Publicly accessible by a short footpath. Sign warns against swimming.
Other places
- The Old Library (the Gazette office)
- The Old Car Road
- The Bell Causeway
- The Halt bench (painted heron-white)
- The Primary School (Bell Street)
- The Reading Room annexe (Council office)
- St. Within’s churchyard
- The newer cemetery, east of town on the Car Road
The town’s geography is shown on the plan.